Academic Initiatives Abroad is proud to be a member institution of the Forum on Education Abroad. We support the Forum EA Standards of Good Practices and regularly attend Forum EA conferences and training workshops.
AIA President Scott Schlimgen is recognized as a Forum Certified Professional, having completed the Forum EA’s rigorous train and professional competency evaluation program, which certifies the following Areas of Competence
- Standards of Good Practices
- Mission & Ethics
- Health, Safety, Security & Risk Management
- Student Learning & Development & Academic Frameworks
- Student Preparation & Re-entry and Student Selection & Code of Conduct
Culminating Project: How On-Site Providers Can Directly Promote Equity, Inclusiveness & Diversity in Education Abroad
Scott Schlimgen also contributed to writing the Forums Guidelines for Good Business Partnerships and AIA’s Director of Language Instruction, Claudia Cremasco, co-presented a session on Task-Based Teaching at the 2020 European Conference in Milan, Italy.
What is Forum EA
Established in 2001, The Forum on Education Abroad is recognized by the US government as the Standard Developing Organization for the study abroad sector. With over 800 institutional members, the Forum on Education Abroad relies on research and consensus to update its standards and educate its members about the sector’s best practices. The Forum Standards cover the most important practices of study abroad, including student selection, safety, evaluation, ethics and other critical areas of education abroad. Forum’s full Standards and many other resources such as guidelines, queries, publications and a critical incident database can be found on The Forum EA website.
Our management team has attended every major Forum conference since 2018.
- 2018 Annual Conference – Boston
- 2018 European Conference – Prague
- 2019 Annual Conference – Denver
- 2020 Annual Conference – Kansas City (Virtual)
- 2020 European Conference – Milan (Virtual)
- 2021 Annual Conference – Boston (Virtual)
- 2022 Annual Conference – Chicago
- 2022 Europe, Middle-East & Africa Conference – Milan
- 2023 Annual Conference – Seattle (upcoming)